Monday, May 24, 2010

CONNECTED TO THE VINE


THE ROSE AND THE STORM

In light of John, Chapter 15

I sat at my desk one morning,
looked out the window
and observed a rose
the color of a ripe apricot
dancing in the wind, being
pelted by rain.

This rose, in hues of
yellow and orange
laying against the fence,
peeked in my window,
asking to be rescued.

The wind gained strength.
I watched with sadness as
this lovely blossom
on a long thin branch
was buffeted about.

My eyes are fixed on the rose
as it looks in the window
at me and pleads for help.
Will its beauty be scared?
Will it even survive?

Another gust of wind comes
and in its violence
whips the rose
until my heart aches.

I can hardly watch,
I want to run out and rescue it.
In my confusion, I cry out - *
and then I know, it must
stay connected to the vine.

I picture this flower safe in a
vase placed on my desk
but I don't touch it,
somehow I sense
it will survive the storm.

The next day, the sun is out.
I run to the window to see
and spot two small tears
among the fragile petals.

The little rose looks happy
bouncing gently in the breeze,
battered, but not broken,
alive, enjoying the sun,
connected to the vine.

*Galatians 4:6 "Abba Father"

I watched this little drama unfold one stormy winter day a few years ago, an uncommon event in Southern California. I had great empathy for this beautiful little rose and wanted it to survive the storm, intact. I too want to survive the storms of my life...intact.

We, like the rose, are whipped around in this life here on earth. At least that is how it often feels. We seem to be at the mercy of circumstances far beyond our control, and actually, we are. But, we as believers have discovered an astonishing truth. Because we have a relationship with the One who is in control, no matter what our difficulty, we are able to experience peace and contentment.

To know a sovereign God, apply His written Word to our life, and by faith believe He has a perfect plan, often hidden from us, we resist the temptation to 'fix it'. We simply picture ourselves as a branch connected to the vine from which all life flows. God doesn't expect us to right all the wrongs, heal all the hurts and set things 'right' with the world we're surrounded by. What He does expect is for us to know who He is - a patient, just, loving and totally sovereign God who is capable of working 'all things together for good' for those who are His children, Romans 8:28.

In John, chapter 15 Jesus is the true vine and God the Father is the gardener. It is the Father who prunes us so we will grow fruit that will be to His glory. This pruning prcess is not always pleasant, but will ultimately produce a harvest of righteousness and peace - Hebrews 12:11.

Our part then is to stay connected to Jesus and trust Him.....'for He is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and great joy' - Jude 24.

Thank you Lord that you alone are in charge of the storms in our lives and we can call out to you, "Abba Father" and know that you have promised to bring us safely through each one.