Saturday, October 23, 2010

MARRIAGE - TO BE OR NOT TO BE



I have a mental list of 'good advice' I've been given over the years. The one I remember during this time of year when it's so easy to get distracted, stressed and maybe even overwhelmed - hit the pause button and focus on what is important.


 People are important, make someone happy. There are many different ways to do that. Probably one of the best ways is to share the story of Jesus. I am always amazed to see neighborhoods light up at this time of year, literally over much of the world, because a baby was born in Bethlehem over 2,000 years ago. Who is that baby? He is the light of the world, the light of your life, the only One who can pierce the darkness. He shows us the way to a content life, full of peace and joy, no matter what circumstances surround us. Jesus also shows us the way to God the Father and eternal life.


Jesus told his disciples, Thomas and Philip, that no one comes to the Father except through him. He said that anyone who has seen him has seen the Father - because Jesus is God, they are one in the same. Have you even wondered what is true? Jesus said he is truth.

He also said that he is the life meaning we are spiritually dead until he makes us alive; we call this being born again, John 3:3.


I hope you will take some time to see for yourself in your Bible what the Scripture says.


John 8:12 - ..."I am the light of the world and whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."


John 14:6 - ..."I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."


John 14: 9 -11 - ..."Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.  The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather it is the Father living in me doing the work. I am in the Father and the Father is in me."


ACTS 4:12 - "Salvation is found in no one else,  for there is no other name under heaven given to me by which we must be saved."


This verse in the book of Acts is speaking of that child born so long ago, Jesus Christ who is our Lord and Savior. We cannot have eternal life by doing good works and religious deeds, or by going to church and Bible studies. There have been many religious leaders throughout history but notice it says. . ."no other name", not Buddha not Mohammad, not Confucius, not Gandhi, not John Smith of the Mormon Church, not the Jehovah Witnesses - nobody, no organization and no good work - JESUS, ONLY JESUS. Our focus should be on him. The more we focus, the more calm we become. Let Jesus be the Lord of your life, don't even try to take control.


Ephesians 2: 8 - 9 Tells us that we are saved by grace through faith which is not our own, it is a gift of God. God's gift is Jesus.


As you gather with friends and family over the holy days don't try to convert anyone, just let them see your faith in action - peace, joy and a loving spirit. They may just want that in their life too!


Thank you Lord - you've done it all for us, we just need to reach out and claim you for our own.