Even our granddogs, Daisy and Abby, are getting excited about celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. There is so much ‘hustle and bustle’ this time of year. Every year we say we’re going to cut back on attending parties, enjoying concerts, decorating the house, sending cards, buying gifts, making special Christmas dishes and of course, those wonderful special Christmas cookies. But every year we do it all again! It is, after all, a very special time of year. We are also aware that there is much suffering and poverty in the world and this is a good time to be generous in supporting others who, for whatever reason, are not able to celebrate the way we do.
If we celebrate this holiday, we need to know who this person Jesus Christ is. Jesus is the complete expression of God’s love, the deepest reflection of His grace, the perfect picture of His heart. The Scripture defines Jesus in this way…….
John I: 1 – 2, “In the beginning was the Word, and Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.” Vs. 14, “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us”. He became ‘flesh’ that night in Bethlehem.
Philippians 2: 6 – 11, “Who, being in very nature God,” – “being made in human likeness” – “And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death – even death on a cross!” Every knee should bow, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.
Colossians 1:15, “He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and things on earth, visible and invisible…..all things were created by him and for him.”
Hebrews 1:3, “The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word.”
The prophet Isaiah prophesied the birth of Jesus – Is. 7:14, Isaiah said that a virgin would give birth to a son and will call him Immanuel which means, ‘God with us’. How wonderful it must have been to have walked with Jesus, talked to Him as one human to another, to witness the miracles and His profound love for others. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong century, but then I realize my Creator knows me only too well and I’d not survive without some of the luxuries of the 21st Century.
Jesus is many things….
· PRINCE OF PEACE – Isaiah 9:6 - In the midst of our chaotic life, Jesus can bring peace and a calming influence.
· JESUS IS THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD – John 8:12 – We don’t need to stumble along in the darkness, Jesus sheds His light on our life and in our circumstances.
· JESUS IS OUR HIGH PRIEST – Hebrews 4:15 – He has shared in our humanity and He bridges the gap between us and the Father. Jesus intercedes for us, He is our Living Savior.
· JESUS IS KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS – Rev. 19:16 – He is the sovereign ruler over all! We can trust Him to act in our best interests, always.
· JESUS IS THE LAMB OF GOD, who takes away the sins of the world – Rev. 19:16 – He delivers us, redeems us, and as our Savior does for us what we can never do for ourselves. He reconciles us to the Father by breaking the hold sin and death have over us.
Keeping these truths in mind, we who believe in Jesus Christ can be calm in the midst of a frenzied world and know that all is under His control and He will work ‘all things together for good for those who love HIm’, Romans 8:28.
Lord, we thank you for coming to earth as a man, for loving us enough to share our humanity and for dying on the cross to pay the penalty for our many sins. We ask this Christmas season that many more will come to know you as our Lord and Savior.