Monday, February 27, 2012

FOR WOMEN ONLY

It's usually the little  things that really matter and bring joy into our life.  God knows that!  Just like a loving parent or faithful husband, He delights in showing us that He cares about the small things that put a smile on our face.  God even knows what those things are - better than we do!

We have a new friend sitting in the middle of our round kitchen table. I've named her 'Colette' after a French author.  I thought that was appropriate because she's a French Hen.  We, Colette and I, have a story to tell. Many years ago I was with a friend in Coronado.  We enjoyed a day at the famous Del Coronado Hotel.  This old hotel is a San Diego landmark and has a lot of interesting history connected with it, even stories of ghosts!  It also has a few charming gift shops;  one that specializes in kitchen stuff, the kind we women like, full of fun pretty things we don't need, but enjoy looking at.   

And there she was...this darling little ceramic French Hen.  I instantly loved her and could picture her in my house.  I held her for a minute, then searched for the price tag.  As I remember, it costs about $40, too much to spend on something I didn't need.  I gently set her back on the shelf and said, "I'm sorry, but someone will come along and give you a good home."

A few days ago I went to a local discount store, 'Ross for Less', and while in the kitchen goods area looking for pot holders, there she was, my little French Hen!  She sat on a shelf, her small head cocked and seemed to be saying, "I've been waiting for you!"  I held my breath while I gently held her in my hands and looked for the price tag...$8.99.  She's mine!  I knew the Lord had put her on the shelf knowing I'd be going to that store and would see her. There was only one, and not a chance than anyone else would have bought her before I came along!  God was saving her pour moi. 

Being a person of faith, I see this incident as a miracle.  I don't long for many things, but I really wanted that chicken and would never have paid the price if she hadn't appeared in another store for a fraction of the cost.  Great big gigantic miracles don't come into our lives on a regular basis, but small ones do - all the time. We often fail to notice what God has done.  It's His way of saying 'I love you, I'm tuned in to what you desire, I want you to feel my presence.' 

Faith is somewhat like electricity - you can't see it, but you can see the light it produces.  We can't see our Lord and Savior, but we can know and experience His light.  Jesus said, "I am the light of the world", John 8:12.

Very often when I've taught a Bible Study, participated in a workshop or been with the women in jail, I will tell those listening...'You are a kept woman'.  Some eyebrows may be raised.  'Kept woman' can be a negative judgment, but not for those who belong to the Lord.  The word 'kept' in Greek is 'phroureo' which means to be a 'watcher in advance, to mount guard as a sentinel, to 'hem in' and protect'.  These words will be more meaningful to you if you look at these amazing truths from Scripture...

I Peter 1:5 - You are kept by God's power - not your own.

Ephesians 2:14 - You are kept in peace - Jesus is our peace.

I John 3:9 - You are kept from sin - no one born of God will continue to sin because you have been born of God.  (John 3:3) Your flesh will sometimes sin, but God sees the life of His Son, Jesus, in you.    

II Timothy 2:13 - You are kept faithful - if you are faithless, God will remain faithful for He cannot deny Himself.

I Thessalonians 5:23 - 24 - you will be kept blameless at the coming of Jesus Christ, because the One who called you is faithful and He will do it.

Proverbs 16:9 - you'll be kept on the right road.  Man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

I Peter 1:4 - your inheritance is kept safe in heaven and will never perish, spoil or fade.

Jude 24 - you are kept from falling - because Jesus is able to present you to God without fault and with great joy!

Of course these promises are for all who believe, not just women.  So, the next time you get shook up about something, anything, look to the Light, don't stumble around in darkness and know that you are being kept by the power of God.   

I thank you Lord for your light, power and grace in my life.

P.S.  You may enjoy my book 'Blogging Gods Word: Seeing Ourselves Through God's Eyes', by Roberta Van Hise.  It's on Amazon, Crossbooks - a download E Book is around $6.00.



Posted by Picasa