Monday, November 4, 2013

THE HIDDEN PAIN IN MY HEART

This poem was written by an inmate in jail. Name not known. I think it is so beautiful and speaks to many of us. I've worked with hundreds of inmates over the last dozen years who've had so much hidden pain. The relief and release of this pain when they come into a relationship with Jesus is like watching the miracle of new birth. It's what keeps me coming back to the jail, - to watch what the Lord is doing there.


THE HIDDEN PAIN IN MY HEART ~ written by an unknown jail inmate

I built a wall around my heart; a safe place I could hide.
A secret place for just myself, with all my pain inside.

Others came to visit me, and though we laughed and cried,
I hid my pain behind the wall; they couldn’t come inside.

One day Jesus came to me, and though I longed for peace,
I was imprisoned by my pain and couldn’t find release.

I could not bring myself to let him come inside the wall.
And though He helped tremendously, I couldn’t give my all.

As time flew by, my longings increased to higher peaks.
I yearned for His fellowship; I hungered for true peace.

Quietly, He waited there, just outside my wall.

Not asking once or rushing me, loving me despite all.
At last, one day, I knew I could no longer hide.

I asked Him to destroy the wall, so He could come inside.
My heart beat quite alarmingly; my mind was filled with fear.

My wall was gone. Where would I hide my anger and my tears?
Amazingly, a peace began to fill my soul anew.

A quiet joy, an unknown strength, it was more than I ever knew.
I looked around and saw the wall lay shattered at my feet,

But suddenly I didn’t care; I had a peace so sweet.
I knew at once the pain that had been bottled deep within,

Had only been a symptom of bitterness and sin.
As I released the sin and pain, Jesus wiped away my tears.

I understood, He was my friend, and He would calm my fears.
And just as sure, I knew that now He always would abide.

I knew that when I faced new fears, in Him I could hide.
So now instead of crouching in pain behind my wall,

My hiding place is Jesus, the greatest place of all.