Thursday, May 1, 2014

LIFE HAPPENS



Do you ever have a day when most everything goes wrong? Sometimes you may have two or three days like that in a row.
       
 The words to a popular song, "You Never Promised Me a Rose Garden" recorded by Lynn Anderson in 1970, kept running through my head. This song resonated with many and it became a very big hit, not only in the United States, but all over Europe, also in Australia, New Zealand and Canada. My world and security as I knew it collapsed a few months after the song was released. I found myself alone with three very young children, one disabled. I would play the record often and take solace in the fact that none of us are owed a perfect life.

Actually, the Lord warned us that life on earth wouldn't always be good, let alone perfect.

"In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."  John 6:33

 Jesus was referring to the fact that believers are safe because the Holy Spirit resides in us. The book of Colossians explains what it means to be "in Christ".  We have what Jesus has, so if He has overcome the world, so will we. Try to keep this in mind when your life goes astray and you feel helpless.

You don't have to look far to see chaos and tragedy all around you. The Malaysian airline that disappeared taking many lives into the ocean, a group of high school seniors in California on their way to visit a college campus killed in a bus accident, the boat that capsized in waters of South Korea so many young people drowned, and the destruction in the United States caused by violent weather - tornadoes sweeping through neighborhoods leaving total wreckage behind.

When all about you seems so out of control, it's good to take a deep breath and trust the Lord to plan our days according to HIS good pleasure. He's God and doesn't owe us an explanation of what and why He does what He does. Our Christianity is based on faith - believing in what you can't see.  

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."  Proverbs 16:9

When you begin to understand this key principle of our faith, life becomes more pleasant, less tense and puts our daily struggles, both big and small, into perspective. We learn what it means to trust the Lord and once we can do that, all fear is gone.

When I get a check from my publisher for books sold, which
is a meager amount; I get $2.00 per sale, I am reminded that I should mention my book now and then. How else will you know about it? Those who have read it, enjoy it as a devotional type book. It's a compilation of many of my blogs. I cover subjects such as -
  •  Bible Basics
  • Why Study the Bible?
  • Knowing Truth
  • Fact or Fiction?
  • A Sovereign King
  • Graduation - A Turning Point
  • The Power That Rests on Us
  • Married - To Be or Not to Be
And, many more topics. Some have used this book for a Bible study at home or church. You may also go back into the 'archives' and read these on the blog.

The book can be purchased at Amazon.com or  Crossbooks.com, also available as an E-book download. Or is it an 'upload'? I never know. I am currently editing a new book for publication, hopefully by summer's end.

Thank you Lord that You are true to Your Word. You quell the anxiety we feel as we begin to trust You and come to know that whatever is happening in life comes from Your hand.