Sunday, September 14, 2014

TRAUMA, DRAMA, THEN PEACE

 
 
 
 
 

I've been distracted lately. My husband has had a lot of health issues resulting in trauma, with a lot of drama to deal with. The blog I'd started working on before the onset of these problems didn't seem appropriate. I've changed course as I believe a blog based on the Bible should reflect our present life; what befalls us, and how the Lord can help us through the real stuff. I recently read these words. . .


"One cannot transcend trauma. Trauma is trapped and clings to that which happened. We live not after trauma but in its aftermath."       
Carolyn Forche'

        I think this is an interesting statement; one that takes some thought to analyze. From time to time we all experience some type of trauma and the drama that arises from it. We need to know how to handle it, and we need to know how to live in its aftermath. Fear and worry should not be a part of a Christian's experience, but it often is if we haven't been exposed to good Biblical teaching.

Spiritual truth isn't the same as other truth. It will always be true that 2 + 2 = 4, but there will be times that our faith is real and alive in us, and times when we feel God has withdrawn it and then we walk as the world does - full of worry and so afraid that something we judge as bad will come to us.

Know that we are totally in His will at all times, Ephesians 1:1l. I have days that I know "all things work together for good" and days that my faith is not apparent, even to me! It's a great comfort to know that when my faith isn't evident, it's still there. I've been spiritually born into Jesus Christ and He will never disown Himself. Galatians 2:20 says that "I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. ..The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

"If we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself."  II Timothy 2:13

        When we write a blog or publish a book, we have no idea how the Lord will use it in others' lives. One day a young man I didn't know very well told me that he'd read my book, 'Blogging God's Word', and the verse that was most meaningful to him was II Timothy 2:13. He said when he got to a low point in his spiritual life and was struggling with faith to believe that the Lord was still with him and would sustain him, this verse settled in his heart and gave him peace. This is what we want - God's word to settle in our heart so we can transcend everything that comes our way.

I know that God is in charge of the 'what and when' of life. There are no 'what ifs' in His playbook. He's mapped out a plan for each of us. This is an eternal plan. We don't know what tomorrow will bring; life can change moment by moment. But when we come to understand that nothing can happen to us that is out of God's control, we can walk in peace. There are no regrets to live with, no 'what ifs'. Just peace.

My husband and two of our sons are watching the San Diego Charger football game this Sunday afternoon. Our team is playing the Super Bowl Champions so it'd be very nice to win this game. And for the moment, there is no thought of what will happen next week, or even an hour from now. There will no doubt be more trauma and drama, but God will sustain us with His peace that surpasses our understanding.

"And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:7

There can be no peace if we believe that we are subject to the errors of this world. Satan is alive and well but Jesus has already crushed him. This was first prophesied way back in Genesis 3:15 and was fulfilled at the cross when Jesus died and then rose again - He beat death. And so have we who know Jesus as our Lord and Savior. We will live eternally with Him. That's God's plan and He won't change it and no one can steal it from us. . .no one, not ever.

This knowledge and the peace it brings is what I pray for all who read these words. I pray for you come to know the living Lord.

My husband will be having a heart procedure soon called 'ablation' to correct the erratic behavior that threatens his life. He has one of the best doctors in the country. Our faith is not in Dr. Higgins, but in God, who has given great skill to this doctor.

Thank you Lord that peace is in you alone. The world can't give it, we can't buy it, or get it in any other way except through you and your love for us. I pray that I don't ever question your will.