Monday, February 15, 2016

SEEING OUR WORLD FROM GOD'S PERSPECTIVE


Sooner or later most of us come to know the lens through which we view God and our world affects the way we think, live and face the future.

Not all of the Psalms were written by David. Asaph was a Levite who King David assigned as a worship leader for the tabernacle choir. Maybe church worship teams of our day can be considered spiritual children of Asaph. Both David and Asaph were skilled singers and poets. Several Psalms were written by Asaph. I love this passage from Psalm 73...

"When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you (God)." Ps. 73:21-22

Asaph didn't always see a wonderful plan unfolding. And just as we sometimes do, he became embittered, didn't use good sense, was ignorant of who God is...oh dear, sound familiar? We experience being a "brute beast" at times because we become frustrated by the problems we face and don't know how to solve them. When he looked at his 'situation of the moment' through God's eyes, Asaph could again experience joy and peace.

"Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire but you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Ps. 73:23 - 26.

How quickly our attitude changes and peace comes when the Lord reminds us that HE is holding our hand and we have a personal relationship with Him and can trust Him to guide us through our difficulties. We also have the promise of future glory - that is heaven! Yes, our flesh fails, our hearts become burdened, but when we know that God doesn't expect us to be strong but rather wants us to see His strength and come to Him, our burden is lifted.

"But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; (safety zone) I will tell of all your deeds. Ps. 73:28

Notice Asaph calls God his "Sovereign Lord." To know that God loves us unconditionally and is in full control of not only our life, but the universe He created, calms our fear and brings hope. When God shines His light on us, we can't wait to tell everyone about it. Remember, Christianity is a walk of faith. Sometimes we don't experience God working in our life, we can't feel the tight grip He has on our right hand. But by faith we trust that He is guiding us to exactly where we need to be.

Thank you Lord that you walk beside us holding our hand. Thank you for caring, loving us, and preparing a place for us to live eternally with you. Help us to see our life here on earth from your perspective.