Sunday, July 24, 2016

ONE WAY ONLY - GOD'S WAY

I'm in the midst of gathering together things I need to take on my trip to Scotland. I'm also trying to gather my wits and focus on what must be done before I leave. I'm not a detailed oriented person, so I depend on the Lord - a lot.

Even though I'm a bit frantic at the moment, I've learned something the last few years since I started writing a Bible blog - when the Lord makes known that He has something for me to say, I'd better drop everything and sit down and write.

"My heart is stirred by a noble theme as I recite my verses for the king; my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer."  Psalm 45:1

Well, I don't always feel that "my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer" so the purpose of this trip to Scotland is to attend a writer's work shop at the University of Dundee which is close to the North Sea, not far from the famous St. Andrews and Edinburgh. I've never been to this country and am so grateful for this opportunity.

We live in a dangerous world. Actually, one way or another, this world has always been dangerous. Sometimes I resist turning the radio on in the morning, afraid I might hear there has been another terrorist attack or that more American policemen have been killed.

Many turn to a 'higher power' during times of stress and worry and search for enlightenment. You won't often hear a Christian talk of being 'enlightened' even though we have come out of the dark and into the light. John wrote in I John 1:5 - 8.

"God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. . .if we walk in the light, as he is the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin." 

If you're like me, you need to read these verses many times to grasp the significance of what God is teaching us. God is the light and if we walk in His light, the blood Jesus shed on the cross will purify us from all sin. Not just some sin, all sin. I realize to an unbeliever, this sounds a bit bizarre, foolish even - see I Corinthians 1; you won't feel alone. True 'enlightenment' comes from Jesus, just Him, He made it easy for us!

After we die, and we all will die at some point unless we're caught up in the rapture, we will be judged. What is God going to judge? Just one thing, if we believe in Jesus as our Savior. Those who don't believe will be judged by the law and their good works and none will stand. Christ fulfilled the law for those who believe - Scripture says "Christ is the end of the law". . .Romans 10:4. Paul wrote to the Galatians - "Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law." . . .Galatians 3:24 We are saved by God's grace - Ephesians 2:8 - 9.

We also need to be aware that Satan is real and always looking for those he can deceive - from the beginning he's been a liar who steals or distorts the truth. He is also clever and doesn't show his real colors. If he did, we'd recognize the devil and flee from him. So he comes in disguise.

"And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light."  2 Corinthians 11:14

"An angel of light" looks good, appears to be good, but is wicked and full of lies.

This might be a good time to mention a book I've been reading. It was written by a grandson of Billy Graham, Tullian Tchividjian, JESUS + NOTHING = EVERYTHING. If we have accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior, we will have eternal life with God. This is the only way we attain eternal life. Jesus is all we need.

It's all about Jesus and what He did on the cross for those who believe. But we want to make it about us and what we do. As Paul wrote in Romans 11:5 - 6, addressing the Jews to clarify that it isn't their 'religious' works that please God and will usher them into heaven, but rather God's grace toward them. Furthermore, grace and works don't mix; it's one or the other - one way, God's way!

"So too, at the present time there is a remnant chosen by grace. And if by grace, then it is no longer by works; if it were, grace would not no longer be grace."

Take note of this verse; you won't hear it recited very often. You will hear that you must accept Jesus and go to church, study the Bible, tithe, work in the Sunday school or help pass out food to the needy - or any number of other things. You probably will do many of these things because God has put His Holy Spirit in you and this will be your natural desire - to help others and shine God's light wherever, and whenever you can. God has a purpose for each of us, but these works can never 'save'.

I want to mention a great movie - a history of American Politics - the good, bad and ugly! If possible, go see 'Hillary's America' in a theater near you. You can also buy the book, same title as movie, written by a Christian, Denish D'Souza. It's a great re-cap of American history told with honesty and reveals truth that many don't know, but certainly should know. Also, check out my books on Amazon, available very inexpensively as e- books too. . .

BLOGGING GOD'S WORD
Seeing Ourselves Through God's Eyes

THE GOD WHO SEES ME
A Collection of Blogs

HOW IS THE DAY?
A Mission to Africa

Lord thank you for the opportunity to write in Your Name - the 'I Am', the 'Alpha and Omega',  - beginning and the end, Almighty God. Thank you for all You will teach me and show me on this trip to Scotland and Ireland. In Jesus name. . .the only way to You.