Saturday, April 15, 2017

THE DAY DEATH DIED

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" John 11:25 - 26

Jesus spoke these words to his friend Martha who was very upset that her brother, Lazarus, had just died. Martha and her sister Mary  took Jesus to the tomb where he was buried four days earlier. His flesh had begun to rot. Jesus asked that the stone be pushed aside, then looked up and prayed to His Father in heaven. Jesus said that what He was about to do, raise a dead man to life, was for the benefit of those watching so they'd know that He was sent by God. You can read this passage in John 11.
 
The difference between Jesus and Lazarus is this; even though they both died and were brought back to life, only the Lord remained alive, Lazarus's human body died again but attained eternal life after his second bodily death. Do you understand that you also can have eternal life and will never have to pay the penalty for all the sins you've committed here on earth? Jesus took our sins upon Himself and paid the penalty for us on the cross. It's hard to think of our self as a 'sinner'. Remember this; Jesus said that if we've been angry with your brother, in God's eyes, that is a sin. Matthew 5:21 -22. We're all guilty.

We all love the story of the birth of our Messiah. His time on earth was short, only thirty-three years. His ministry lasted for a short three years and here we are, two thousand years later sharing His story. Many Christians call Easter Sunday, Resurrection Sunday. Very fitting I think since we are celebrating the risen Lord on this day. It's a good reminder that we serve a living Christ who has conquered death on our behalf. Do you believe this?

The English word 'Easter' has German/Saxon roots. The German word - auferstehen means resurrection. Martin Luther referred to Christ as esterlambe, meaning, 'the resurrected lamb'. The death and resurrection of Jesus occurred after he went to Jerusalem to celebrate the Passover. You can read the story of the Jewish Passover in Exodus 12. The homes that had the blood of a lamb on the door were 'passed over'. God promised no harm would come to them when He struck Egypt.
"For Christ, our Passover lamb has been sacrificed."
I Corinthians 5:7 
 
"They will make war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will overcome them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - " Revelation 17:14
 
My husband and I were in a study of the Book of Revelation shortly before God took him to his heavenly home. I remember so clearly my husband saying one day with great excitement and anticipation, "I'm going to see the Lamb!" All of us who know Jesus as our personal Lord and Savior will be in heaven with him one day. In fact, we'll reign with Him eternally! Do you believe this?

The crucifixion and resurrection were prophesied in the Old Testament long before these events took place. Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53 paint a very accurate picture of what eventually took place. 

I've just returned from a trip back east to visit with my family. They live 3,000 miles away, so I don't get to see them often enough. The southeast is lovely this time of year; dogwood trees in bloom and azaleas bursting with colors of reds and pink. I know the Lord has assigned a guardian angel to watch over His children, but I think He actually has a whole team of angels looking out for me. I love to sense His presence and see Him in action - guiding, protecting, fixing what I've messed up, and showing His love in a hundred ways. Every time I travel or get out of my 'comfort zone', I know my heavenly father is watching out for me.
The fact that Jesus died on the cross in my behalf wouldn't mean anything unless He was God. We can die for those we love, but that won't save them from the penalty of their sins; only God can do that. The resurrection is proof that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior. Death died the day Christ was resurrected. His last words on the cross were, "It is finished." - John 19:30 We are no longer under the law or a moral code; we are under His grace and we walk by faith believing in the one who came to give us eternal life. I hope you believe this!
I wrote this poem a few years ago. . .

RESURRECTION SUNDAY
 
Spring, a time when
God revives His creation
resurrects new life and
nurtures what once
seemed dead.

The Lord announces His existence,
dresses the earth exquisitely
in all the colors of the rainbow.
He floods the air with
heavenly unwritten melodies
as the birds choose their mates
and build their nests to
house fragile fledglings.

The message of the Son is revealed
as we witness a flower
pushing through soil,
smell fragrant orange blossoms, or
gently reach out to touch those we love.
 
Jesus came to show
all will not die and wither away.
Life will be resurrected in
harmony with His eternal plan.
 
He has promised to
show the way.
He is the Way,
the Truth and the Life.
~ John 14:6

I thank you for Your life Lord - the one you gave up for me so I could be washed clean, white as snow, and live eternally with You.