Monday, March 26, 2018

I AM WHO I AM


Exodus 3:13-14

"Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me,'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?

God said to Moses, "I Am Who I Am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I Am has sent me to you.'."

These words, I AM, would reverberate throughout the New Testament in the Person of Jesus Christ. 

The apostle John had a very close relationship with the Lord. In fact, Scripture says God gave John a glimpse into heaven. These words are from John 3: 14-18...

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man (Jesus) be lifted up. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

When the Jews heard Jesus use the words 'I AM' they accused Him of blasphemy - they knew He was claiming to be God. Notice how Jesus used this phrase to convince others of who He is.

I AM  "The bread of life" (John 6:35), the source of every believers spiritual life. 

I AM  "The light of the world"  (John 8:12), the source of spiritual insight and direction.

I AM  "The gate for the sheep" (John 10:7), the doorway into the kingdom of God.

I AM  "The good shepherd"  (John 10:14), the One who knows His sheep and lays down His life to save them.

I AM  "The resurrection and the life" (John 11:25), The One who not only gives life after death, but is the source of eternal life.

I AM  "The way, the truth and the life"  (John 14:6), the One who not only shows the way to God and salvation, but is the way. No one can reach God except through Jesus. He is the bridge between heaven and hell.

I AM  "The true vine" (John 15:1) The source of spiritual nourishment for everyone connected to Him in faith just as a vine feeds water and nutrients to the branches. God the Father prunes the branches just as a gardener prunes the branches of a grapevine, rose brush or tree - to make it bear more fruit or beautiful flowers. As most of us have discovered, the the pruning process can be painful, but later it will bare the fruit of righteousness. 

Jesus Christ didn't suddenly appear in Bethlehem as a baby - this is the way we came to know Him - God in the flesh who walked among us - John 1:14. However Scripture tells us that Jesus was
with God from the beginning. Jesus is the Word of God, John 1:1.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning."

At Easter we celebrate the person of Jesus who was born, died, buried and rose again. We have a living Savior! This is the gospel, the 'good news'.  God's standard is one of total perfection. None of us can achieve that. We can't be 'perfect' for a day let alone every day. Jesus has made those who believe perfect in God's eyes. Ask the Lord to open your heart to these truths, to give you the gift of faith, and to feel so blessed by having Jesus in your life that you want to share this good news with everyone. 

HAPPY EASTER 



Thank you Jesus for giving your life for us, your sheep. Thank you for the agony you experienced hanging on the cross. Remind us daily that your last words were, "It is finished". You have done it all.