Wednesday, September 12, 2018

THE BODY OF BELIEVERS

For most of us, a desire to be a part of something is a way of life. This is why we join things, volunteer, and cheer for our team! I'm a sports fan so this time of year is especially fun as I root for my teams. Hope springs eternal and I know that the day will come when the San Diego Padres will go to the World Series, the Chargers will play in a Super Bowl and UCLA will again be on top in basketball and football.

        Given the time, money and opportunity, there is always more to do; treasures to uncover, and exciting experiences waiting to be lived. But it occurs to me that as we get older and realize we haven't been able to do all that we'd planned, we may feel disappointment. 'Gee, I'm never going to be able to travel to India, ride an elephant, or work with the homeless...' We will all leave something on the table but it will only be that which the Lord had not included in His plan for our life. In the end, we can say that we've done His will.

        "In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will."  Ephesians 1:11

        The more in-tune I am with the meaning of this verse, the more apt I am to put away fear and worry and experience the joy of being a child of God. My heavenly Father has everything under control, therefore I don't have to! I'm not only a part of His plan, I have a specific part in His plan. I belong to the body of believers which we Christians refer to as 'the church'. The church isn't a building or a place, it is us, those who believe. 

        Most of us struggle now and then to find our specific place in the body. Because we know God's timing is perfect, we can relax and trust Him to show us how and where He wants to use us in His Kingdom. When we go to God's Word, we begin to understand His plan. If we look at I Corinthians 12 we'll discover that we've been given spiritual gifts. These are given for the common good of all. 

"To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge. . .to another, faith, healing, prophecy. . .I Corinthians 12:8 -10.

        Verse 11 goes on to say that all these are the work of the same Spirit. These gifts are given to us as He determines. In other words, we don't get to pick our gift, and we are not in control of His plan. Sometimes we'd like to trade our spiritual gift for another. I always thought it would be wonderful to have a gift for music; play an instrument, lead worship as I sing praises to the Lord. Instead, the Lord has me teaching His word. Every time I write a blog, I'm teaching His word. I've taught Bible studies in the community and our local jail for many years. This is His plan for me.

        I'm going to paraphrase I Corinthians 12: 14 - 27.  The body is made up of many parts, each having its own purpose. The foot has a different purpose than the hand, the eye a different function than the ear. God has arranged the parts in the body just as He wanted them to be. The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you." The head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you." Scripture points out that what we may consider the weaker parts of the body are actually "indispensable." 

        "Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it."  I Cor. 12:27

        Some of us are apostles for Christ, some prophets, some teachers and some have gifts of healing and do miraculous deeds. 

        The book of Romans is the quintessential discussion of doctrine and theology - everything we need to know about our Christian faith. After thoroughly exploring the five key elements of our faith - sin, salvation, sanctification, sovereignty and service -the Lord exhorts us with advice on how to live a life of joy. 

        The Scripture tells us again in Romans 12 that 'in Christ'
we who are many form one body. We have different gifts, and 
obviously different abilities and disabilities. Our gifts are given to us by the grace of God, so we give Him the glory. Verse 3 tells us that the Lord has measured our faith; if someone appears to have more faith than you do, that's why. Some in the body serve God by teaching, some with encouraging, some give generously of their time, energy and money, and some have the gift of leadership. In I Cor. 10:31 the Lord exhorts us  "...whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 

Thank you Lord for our gifts and the privilege of being one member in your body designed to love and serve you. Thank you for having a plan for each of us and help us to be able to relax and trust Your plan as being perfect for us and Your Kingdom.