Sunday, April 14, 2019

GOD FRIENDED ME



I recently was looking for Easter cards and found one that touched me because of the total truth it shared about who Jesus is. This is what it said...

"There is only one man, the Author of life who overcame death and the grave.
There is only one Lamb who is holy enough, whose blood has the power to save.
There is only one Shepherd with love so great
He'd chose to die for our gain.
There is only one Lord, one matchless King, who is worthy
forever to reign."

How do we know that this is true? Many ways come to mind; believers share their love for God, the Holy Spirit has given us new life, God reveals His truth to us personally, we watch God at work around us, God shows Himself in nature, brings to life what once looked dead, we see God change people, He changes us and finally, we have God's holy written Word - the Bible. 

Do you ever wonder if it's worthwhile to study the Bible? Yes, a resounding YES it is!! Here are a few reasons why. . .

I'm using my friend Glenna Salsbury's list of reasons written in her thoughtful, insightful little book, Bible by Alphabet. 

Psalm 119:25 - David called on God to revive him - give him strength and energy when his was lacking.

Psalm 119:130 - The Word provides understanding and wisdom in making daily decisions, God's Word gives light.

Psalm 119:74 - God's Word provides hope that produces joy in life that flows from us to others.

Hebrew 4:12 - The Word of God is living and active.

Romans 10:17 - The Word is the means by which we come to have faith. Faith comes when we hear the message and the message is heard through the word of Christ.

Psalm 119:11 - We are protected from evil/sin, because we have hidden His word in our heart.

I Peter 1:23 - We are 'born again' through imperishable seed, the source of eternal life. 

John 1:14 - the Word of God became visible in Jesus Christ, who came to earth in a human body and walked among us.

John 1:3 - God's Word created the world - "God said. . ."

John 1:1 - last but most important in this list of reasons to read and study the Bible - JESUS is the Word. Forgiveness, salvation and ultimately eternal life come through Jesus Christ. 

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He (Jesus) was with God in the beginning."
John 1:1-2.

The photo on this post is the Bible given to my Swedish grandmother, Johanna Enroth by her father in 1889 when she was 'confirmed in the faith'. Wild flowers pressed between the pages are well preserved and I wonder why they were special. 

The inscription reads, "Johanna Svensdotter Hesslehult - 1889. These are the verses he wrote on the front page of the Bible. I know from this that my great-grandfather was a believer and he understood God's salvation, grace, sovereignty, purpose of the 10 Commandments and that we are a work in progress.  

John 1:29 - John saw Jesus coming to him and said, "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world."

Galatians 3:24 - "Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith." 

Jeremiah 31:31-34 - "Behold the days are coming when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel...I will put My law within them, and on their heart I will write it...I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.

Philippians 1:6 - "For I am confident of this very thing, He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus."

It was exciting for me to find that my great-grandfather believed in the Bible as God's Word and treasured the same verses I do. We've never met, not yet, but I have every confidence that this man will be one of my 'greeters' as I enter heaven.

Thank you Lord for preserving some of my Christian heritage. Thank you for being my friend every day in every way. I pray that my readers will see the wisdom and benefit of studying your word and help them Lord to know You and feel your presence in their life.