Monday, February 28, 2011

HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW - ASIA BOUND

I remember my mother played a record with a hymn that contained these words, 'His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me'. As a child, I was both comforted and threatened by this. Comforted in knowing there was a God who watched over me, and threatened that maybe He might see me doing something I wasn't supposed to do! But rather than worry too much about it, I ignored that possibility. It was many years later when God showed me who He is, how much He loves me, and the eternal home He has prepared for me that I began to understand.

As I sit at my desk, my eyes are frequently on the birds that fly in and out of our backyard. This seems to be 'nest building' time and they are very industrious gathering together bits and pieces of nature's bedding to prepare a place to lay their eggs. I wonder, how do they know to do this?

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" Matt. 6:26

This verse tells us that God will take care of us.....not to worry!

I saw this truth come to life the other day when I received an e-mail from Singapore. Let me tell you the whole story. I've always wanted to see 'the Orient', they don't call it that anymore, it's now just 'Asia' made up of many different countries. A very different land from ours in many ways, with beautiful people who have survived so many hardships. China's history goes back 5,000 years! Since this trip could be a bit rigorous, I'm thinking I better do it now rather than later. As the saying goes, 'I'm not getting any younger'.

My husband has been to many of these countries, in fact, he's made maps of some of them, so he's going to stay home with the dogs. I'm going to fly to Singapore in mid-April, spend a couple of days in that vibrant country, and then board a ship which will take me to Thailand, Vietnam, China, Hong Kong and Japan. I will be traveling alone, no problem on the ship, I'll be one of many, but alone in Singapore. I'm assured that English is commonly spoken there.

Now it just so happens that we have Christian neighbors who know all about Singapore. I have no doubt that God orchestrates everything! One was born and raised there, his American wife lived with him in Singapore for 12 yrs. When I told them, 'I'm going!' they offered advice on where to stay. Turns out that hotel was full, at least they had no inexpensive rooms left, so my dear husband got on the Internet and found what he thought would be a nice hotel in a convenient location for a good price. Our neighbors weren't so sure about this choice and expressed concern to a friend in Singapore who 'just happened' to call them that evening. "I know the people who own this hotel and our church went and prayed through all the rooms" she said. Can you believe that? The very hotel I'm staying in! His eye is on the sparrow and He's always looking out for me!

God's promises are for God's people. If you are not a believer, you can't claim them. I'd like to refer to the rest of Matthew 6 in which the Lord tells us how we can be sure these promises are for us.

Jesus said.....
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself."
Matt. 6: 33-34

Jesus was referring to the Kingdom of heaven, and seeking HIM for righteousness rather than attempting to become righteous by good behavior, good works,...... you know, all the worldly things we think we need to do to earn God's favor. Galatians 2:21 is so clear......

"I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, (following a set of rules or 'commandments'') Christ died for nothing!"

Makes perfect sense, doesn't it? If I could live a perfect life and become righteous in God's eyes, then Jesus would not have had to die on the cross for me. However, I cannot cover my own sin, Jesus paid the price for me and now, I am free of it.....forever!

Ponder this verse from II Corinthians 5:21....."God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God". The death of Jesus on the cross and resurrection to new life washed all the 'disease' in our life away....everything that was not good - everything. The focus here is on the resurrection. Any one of us could die for someone we love, but only God was able to conquer death so that we who believe in Him will also be raised to a new life! Not because we deserved it, just because He loves us. It's not about a religion, it's about a relationship!

God wrote through Isaiah's hand in 46: 3-4 "Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you."

Thank you Lord for your tender caring love and keeping me in the palm of Your hand, providing all I need.