Thursday, May 10, 2012

SEEING GOD IN THE MIDST OF TURMOIL

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.  Isaiah 40: 29 -31

        This photo of an Arizona Roadrunner was taken in our backyard. They aren't numerous where we live, but a few appear during the spring.  The males are fun to watch as they prance around, fluff up their feathers and look for a mate. These large birds like to run as much as fly. I  have been thinking about eagles, but they don't fly into our yard, so this little guy will have to do.   
        Do you notice how disappointed he looks? He saw a birdbath and expected to be able to take a bath, or at least get a drink of water. It was dry. Poor little guy - we can all sympathize knowing what it's like to expect something good and then find nothing and have to look elsewhere

        "No one thinks of winter when the grass is green."
Rudyard Kipling

        It's so disappointing to see new life and then have to take a step backward.  My husband was recovering very well from his bout with pneumonia.  Glad to be home, and then boom, another challenge to face!  He'd been given steroids in the hospital.  They'd built up in his system and within a couple of days - he had a new personality! Now we know why athletes are given this drug; you think you can conquer the world!
        This was actually a bigger challenge for me than having him so sick, and believe me, I was weary! I just wanted to leave - run away somewhere and hide. But I didn't; I hid in the Lord instead. And I never doubted for a minute that God wasn't in full control.  My joy was subdued, my weakness exposed, but God's power was evident.

        Jesus said (I Corinthians 12:9)
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 

        There is something almost magical about feeling totally powerless and also knowing that all is well.  I can't imagine any other way to experience this other than through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. To be calm and at peace when everything is okay is no big deal.  We can all do that. But to observe chaos, feel powerless, be oh so weary and still be at peace in our soul is a 'God thing!' 
         I'm happy to report that this bizarre behavior only lasted a few days and now, my husband is almost his old self. I've grown a bit in faith and have another story to share about feeling helpless, but able to trust the Lord.      
        Isaiah, a wonderful book of history, prophesy and poetry in the Old Testament, gives such encouragement when going through a hard time. I have summarized Chapter 40.  I hope you'll get a Bible and read this whole chapter for yourself; you will be blessed.  It seems appropriate to share God's love for His own, His power, majesty and awesome mightiness!

REFLECTING ON ISAIAH FORTY

I will not worry. . .

He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to His heart.
He has measured the waters
in the hollow of His hand.

I will not fear. . .

I know the One who has
marked off the heavens.
My father has held the dust
of the earth in a basket
and weighed the mountains
on the scales.

I will rejoice. . .

The sovereign Lord comes with power
He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth.
He stretches out the heavens like a canopy.
He brings out the starry host one by one
and calls them by name.

I will worship no other. . .

To whom will you compare God?
Idols are made of gold and silver
by human hands. They cannot
speak, see, hear or utter a sound.
To a lifeless stone do you shout
"Wake up and give us guidance?"

I will hope. . .

The Word (Jesus) of the Lord
stands forever.
The Lord is in His holy temple,
let the earth be silent before Him.

THE LORD ALMIGHTY IS HIS NAME!

Yes Lord, we love to see your power in the midst of our own helplessness.  To hear your voice, sense your presence and feel your love.  I praise Your mighty Name, the Name above all names.