Saturday, June 2, 2012

LOOKING FOR THE LIGHT

"I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken."  Psalm 16:8

David wrote this centuries ago.  David could not handle the problems of life by himself; he needed to know the Lord was there to sustain and protect him. He didn't write, "I will not be shaken because I am full of wisdom and power and can handle anything that comes my way!"  I wonder why I can't remember that when I'm struggling and need help?

When it comes to spiritual truth, we are totally dependent on the Holy Spirit - we can't decide on our own to have this wonderful peace flow over us.  We, as human beings, don't like this. . .we want to be in control, not dependent on God, or anyone else for that matter.  If you read this blog regularly, you might remember me pointing out that 'spiritual truth is not like other truth'.  Once I've learned to spell the word CAT, or that 2 + 2 = 4, I know it.  At least I'll know it as long as my brain is functioning normally.  However, I will always need the Holy Spirit to remind me of God's supernatural truth.

Finally - it's June!  I'm sorry I've been silent for so long, life has been challenging and I just haven't had the time to write. 

I can tell when spring is slipping into summer.  The wonderful aroma of orange blossoms is replaced by blooming Star Jasmine, the brilliant colors of bougainvillea dot our community, hungry snails pick at our fading orchid plants and crawl up stalks to take a bite of the artichokes I've been waiting to prepare for dinner.  We exchange the winter comforter for a light one, and trade the tennis shoes for sandals.  A new season! 

And the birds are mating in earnest.

We have a new birdbath in our yard.  It's ceramic, deeper than the old one and slippery along the edge.  It gets hot  sitting in the sun.  I'm worried about the birds and suggested to my husband that maybe he could go to Home Depot and find a product that would rough up the edge of the bath so the birds little feet could 'hang on' easier and not slip into the bowl - which after all - is deeper than the one they've been use to.  He sat there and just gave me that 'look' that says, "You're not serious, are you?"  Oh well, I know the Lord can take care of the birds, He doesn't need my help. 

I must admit, I'm glad we've said adieu to May!  Every May is a busy one at our house.  It's the perfect month to take a little vacation, or a big one.  It's our anniversary month, Mother's Day and my birthday.  Our home begins to look like a Hallmark Card shop!  This May has been especially frantic - my husband is still recovering from his medical challenges, and we're in the midst of completely re-doing our bathroom with all the 'mess' and inconvenience that implies. The whole house is in disarray. Come 7 AM every morning, someone is at our front door to do something; often a dirty, noisy 'something'. I haven't even had a cup of coffee yet!  We've had lots of decisions to make, spending a lot of money - too many irons in the fire at once.  Lord, remind me that You are here in the midst of the mess - it'll be okay.

When we discovered that there was a problem with our new plumbing fixtures and would have to wait for a month to receive what we'd ordered - I was not shaken!  Okay, maybe for a few minutes - well actually for almost an hour. . .and this before breakfast!  My prayer was so simple; I just said "LORD?" Within minutes I knew how to proceed.  My husband tied up the loose ends, and we're back in business. 

When difficulties arise, we stumble around looking to be 'enlightened'.  Jesus said that He is the Light, John 8:12

"I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness...., but will have the light of life."

We just might as well go to Jesus instead of wasting time and energy trying to get it all together on our own.  By the way, do you know that God does not listen to sinners, but only to the godly man (or woman) who does His will?  Check it out in John 9:31.  We need to know how to do God's will - be transformed from a sinner to a saint.  Or, from a sinner to a believer.  God has answered this in Scripture - so directly, so simply and yet, if we haven't been re-born spiritually, we can't understand.  

In John 6, Jesus had been preaching to thousands.  A group of Jews who'd heard His message, searched for Him and asked this question. . ."What must we do to do the works God requires?"  Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."  John 6:28 - 29.

Who did God 'send'?  He sent Jesus!  Did you notice the period after the word 'sent'?  It isn't Jesus plus anything else, not following the Ten Commandments, not going to church, not praying, not doing 'good works'. . . just Jesus! When we believe in Jesus we have done God's work, (will) and have become a believer.  God never again looks at our sin. He sees His Son in us and Romans 8:1 tells us that '. . .there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Being born from above and walking in the light of Jesus is a very good thing.  Ask God to make YOU His own.  When I stray from these truths I get caught up in the turmoil of this world.  My focus gets blurred - I'm not walking in the light. I'm looking down at my feet instead of feeling the presence of the One beside me.   I've so missed writing about the Lord.  Do what you love - it's what you were created for! A new bathroom won't sustain me for long, not my husband or kids loving me, not a new car or a great vacation - just sitting here sharing that Jesus is Lord - that's what brings the light to life!

Thank you Lord for being our earthly presence.  Help us to know every day that no matter what the circumstances, we will not be shaken!