Tuesday, September 4, 2012

THE GIRL @ THE BAR


Jake's in Del Mar


While making my way through a crowded
bar in a popular beach front restaurant,
I saw her perched on a stool,
dressed in bridal white shorts,
casually bouncing a honey-tanned leg to
the rhythm of a distant melody.

Hair the color of summer wheat
frames her young attractive face.
She holds a glass of wine in her left hand,
Bing cherry red, as yet untouched.

Her friends sitting beside her are ignored as she
focuses on a book held gently in her right hand.
I know, from a distance of many feet, she's
holding a Bible.

As I walk by, I look to see what in Scripture
she finds so captivating - Psalms.
I pause for a moment to tell her she's made my heart sing
sitting there on a bar stool, glass of wine in hand,
reading her Bible, serenely swinging her leg
in time to the music.

"I was so anxious to read this passage", she said with
a hint of apology in her voice. "Good for you" I say. 
I'll likely not see her again - our time was so brief,
and very few words were spoken.
But, I won't forget her,

this pretty young girl sitting at the bar
in white shorts with summer tanned legs,
holding a glass of wine, eager to read God's Word,
and didn't care where.

by Bobbe Van Hise

      Sometimes, we have an encounter that is pure poetry, as this one. I find myself looking for my Bible around the house - often. It doesn't stay in one place, it comes with me. I know there are some Christians who'd never want to walk through a bar and never think of taking their Bible to one! But here she was, not being persuaded that she was locked into someone else's vision of a Christian.  

      Jesus pretty much did His own thing too. His first public miracle was turning water into wine, His mother asked Him to do it, John 2. He choose a man, Matthew, from one of the most despised professions of the day to become one of His disciples.  Jesus ate with the sinners, John 9: 9 - 10. He befriended prostitutes and the unlovable. And we are told to be like Him.

      I didn't even ask her name, the girl at the bar, but I hope she'll read this.

     Thank you Lord that we can be who we are and know that you love us, unconditionally.