About Me

My photo

Over the past few years my blog has been visited by people from all over the world. Very few know me, or of me, they simply are looking information concerning the Bible and discover my blog. After many years of intense study and teaching, I've come to believe we are vulnerable to misguided and incorrect teaching if we don't understand for ourselves the teaching of God's Word. My 'hot buttons' are - grace, sovereignty, exhortations and sanctification. If you understand these basic principles of Scripture, and apply them to daily life, you will understand what it means to have peace, joy and absolute security in any circumstance.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

THE GIRL @ THE BAR


Jake's in Del Mar


While making my way through a crowded
bar in a popular beach front restaurant,
I saw her perched on a stool,
dressed in bridal white shorts,
casually bouncing a honey-tanned leg to
the rhythm of a distant melody.

Hair the color of summer wheat
frames her young attractive face.
She holds a glass of wine in her left hand,
Bing cherry red, as yet untouched.

Her friends sitting beside her are ignored as she
focuses on a book held gently in her right hand.
I know, from a distance of many feet, she's
holding a Bible.

As I walk by, I look to see what in Scripture
she finds so captivating - Psalms.
I pause for a moment to tell her she's made my heart sing
sitting there on a bar stool, glass of wine in hand,
reading her Bible, serenely swinging her leg
in time to the music.

"I was so anxious to read this passage", she said with
a hint of apology in her voice. "Good for you" I say. 
I'll likely not see her again - our time was so brief,
and very few words were spoken.
But, I won't forget her,

this pretty young girl sitting at the bar
in white shorts with summer tanned legs,
holding a glass of wine, eager to read God's Word,
and didn't care where.

by Bobbe Van Hise

      Sometimes, we have an encounter that is pure poetry, as this one. I find myself looking for my Bible around the house - often. It doesn't stay in one place, it comes with me. I know there are some Christians who'd never want to walk through a bar and never think of taking their Bible to one! But here she was, not being persuaded that she was locked into someone else's vision of a Christian.  

      Jesus pretty much did His own thing too. His first public miracle was turning water into wine, His mother asked Him to do it, John 2. He choose a man, Matthew, from one of the most despised professions of the day to become one of His disciples.  Jesus ate with the sinners, John 9: 9 - 10. He befriended prostitutes and the unlovable. And we are told to be like Him.

      I didn't even ask her name, the girl at the bar, but I hope she'll read this.

     Thank you Lord that we can be who we are and know that you love us, unconditionally.