Saturday, October 27, 2012

PAIN AND SUFFERING


      I haven't written a blog in over a month. The last post was the day before I had a spinal fusion. I knew it would be some time  before I could comfortably sit at my computer. I've learned something about pain and suffering during the last few weeks - you need to set your sights on the goal, not the momentary discomfort that seems to last forever. I think back now to how many years I've suffered with back pain and how wonderful it'll be to be free of that pain.
      I've been talking to the Lord about a new 'invention' of mine that I think He could put into place. The world would be ever so grateful. We should have available to us a fast-forward button and when we come to a time in life that is full of pain and we are suffering, we just hit that button and fast-forward through it all.
      There have been many times I've thought of this as our children were going through a hard time and I knew they were suffering - maybe not physically, but emotional suffering can be even worse. No parent wants to witness their child having a hard time and knowing there is nothing they can do to 'fix it'. We hold on to Biblical truth at times like this.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

      By the time you have children you know that life isn't going to be perfect. It's just not. But what is perfect to us, isn't the same as what is perfect to God. Our heavenly Father who loves us unconditionally, knows the precise path we need to walk in order to be the person He intends us to be. So often this walk includes pain and suffering and only because God sees the reason for this, can He tolerate watching us struggle. In a very minor way, it's like taking your child to the doctor for immunizations - they're scared of that needle, it hurts, but you know that because they experienced some momentary suffering, they won't get a terrible disease. It's necessary.
      The trouble is, we don't like admitting our weakness and asking for help. I can't bend, lift (more than 10 lbs) or twist because of my back surgery. I still can't put my shoes and socks on by myself. I hate that! I want to take care of myself without help. That day will come, but I need to be patient. The Lord hasn't gifted me with an over abundance of patience, so this is hard. I'm comforted when I read. . .

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness...the Spirit  intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will."  Romans 8:26 - 27.

      You see, nothing is going to happen to the 'saints' (Christians) that God isn't in control of. No matter how bad it looks, we can trust Him. The apostle Paul was tormented by a 'thorne in my flesh' and he begged the Lord to remove it. Did the Lord remove the throne? No, He didn't, He told Paul that His grace is sufficient and His power is made perfect in weakness. This is a hard concept because, in this world, we are taught to be strong, stand on our own two feet and be independent. It doesn't work that way in God's Kingdom and when Paul understood this he said,

"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me". 2 Corinthians 12:9.

I'm sure that much of Paul's stress and struggle was relived as he accepted his limitations. We too need to give up the struggle, endure the pain and suffering that will at some point in our lives come our way, and know that God will manifest His power in our weakness.

Lord, I thank you for giving me the courage to have this surgery, for walking day by day with the knowledge that You are right here beside me. And, giving me the faith that I won't need pain pills and will be able to put on my shoes and socks. . .in your time.