Wednesday, February 12, 2014

MANY NAMES, ONE GOD

I'm in the desert. I'm beginning to wonder why the Lord sent me here. Allergies turned into a bad cold, I feel awful. My husband and son went to play miniature golf today and I'm trying to edit a manuscript for my next book. I'm unable to access the file I need. So, I'm at a standstill and frustrated.

I might as well look at what is good instead of what is not. If I have to be sick, and stuck indoors, this is a nice place to be. We're in La Quinta, near Palm Springs, CA. We've rented a condo and the view from the windows, all the windows, is so beautiful. Majestic mountains rise up out of the desert in a most striking way. There are palms by the hundreds silhouetted against these wondrous mountains. Our little dog, Rudy, runs from one window to another watching people walk by; many  are walking their dogs, some riding bikes. The grass is so green, and everywhere you look there is a lovely flower bed with every color in the rainbow. And I know the Creator of all this! I know His name, and even more amazing, He knows mine.
       
Do you know that God has many names and each one defines a specific attribute? I believe as we study the names of God we gain the insight and wisdom to understand all that He is. Actually, I don't believe that God will ever reveal 'all' this side of heaven. What He has disclosed is very humbling. To understand that He knows me personally and has called me into His Kingdom gives me everything I need to get through this life - hope, joy, peace and patience to watch His plan unfold.

The names of God that come to mind are Lord, Jesus, Savior, and Holy Spirit. But when we look at the Hebrew names, our depth of understanding is greatly increased. A few years ago, a dear woman, Nancy Hayes, who loved the Lord and is now with Him, e-mailed me a long list of names for God and said I might want to share them in a blog one day. I recently found the e-mail I'd printed out long ago, and yes, I do want to share this with my readers.

ELOHIM - the One who can create something out of nothing and give me peace in the midst of impossible situations.

EL ELYON - the 'most high' God who is sovereign. I give you my concerns today.

ADONAI - my Lord and Master. I will follow you.

EL SHADDAI - God Almighty who I can trust to be sufficient for my deepest needs.

YAHWEH JIREH - my provider who will supply everything I need today. I  don't need to worry about tomorrow.

EL ROI - the One who sees me. Hagar, mother of Ishmael who began the Arab nation, was running away from Sarah, Abraham's wife, who later bore Isaac. She was frightened and alone in the desert. The Lord, Jesus, spoke to her. Hagar replied to Him. . ."I have now seen the One who sees me." - Genesis 16:13.   I am never alone and nothing in my life goes unnoticed by God.

YAHWEH - the One and only self-existent, eternal, covenant-keeping God who will always love me.

ABBA FATHER - God is my heavenly Father and I can run to Him and be secure in His arms. He will never reject me.

There are many more names, but this is enough to absorb and ponder for now. I pray that you take the time each day to be still and know that He is God. For me, it's often the difference between a good day and a bad day.

Thank you Lord that you have given us so many names by which to know you. Thank you for special people you bring into our life.