Saturday, May 12, 2018

THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE

Last week our pastor said that he'd be doing a lot of research in preparation for his Mother's Day message and discovered that "everyone has a mother!"  If you are a mother, you know having a child is a tremendous responsibility and an awesome privilege.

William Ross Wallace was a poet who was born in Kentucky in 1819. He is the one who penned these words so long ago and first published in 1865. You can easily find the whole poem on the internet; I'll quote some of my favorite phases...

THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE IS THE HAND THAT RULES THE WORLD

"Blessings on the hand of women! 
   Angels guard its strength and grace.
In the palace, cottage, hovel,
   Oh, no matter where the place;
Would that never storms assailed it,
   Rainbows ever gently curled,
For the hand that rocks the cradle
   Is the hand that rules the world.

Women, how divine your mission,
   Here upon our natal sod;
Keep - oh, keep the young heart open
   Always to the breath of God!
All true trophies of the ages
   Are from mother-love impearled,
For the hand that rocks the cradle
   Is the hand that rules the world."

Mother's Day was first celebrated on May 9, 1914 when President Woodrow Wilson had a day set aside to honor all mothers. To be honest, it would be difficult for me to give a 'shout out' to all mothers. I've seen enough in my lifetime to know that not all mothers are "good". But I know this, after the birth of a child the cord that bound the baby to mother and life will be cut, but there is an emotional cord that can never be snipped away.

For a period of ten years I went to my local jail to teach Bible studies for the women who voluntarily came to the class. I soon learned that so many of these women had a very rough childhood which continued to haunt them. Many had children of their own and Mother's Day was a difficult day for them. Some were fortunate enough to have family caring for their child, or children, other's had Social Services take their children and they had no idea where they were.   

Mother's often feel guilt when they see their children unhappy and struggling with life. We wonder, "Is it my fault? Could I have done better?" Most of us think if given another chance, we'd do better, after all, we've grown and learned. The best I could do for these women inmates was to assure them that God will forgive everything "wrong" they had ever done. That He sent His Son Jesus to die for all of our faults...the forgiveness is complete and eternal. God did this out of love, and once given, He never withdraws that love. Raising children becomes easier when you learn that you can't do it alone - you need the One who gives us life to be by your side.

I Chronicles 16:11 "Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always." 

I vividly remember many years ago on a Mother's Day morning my seven year old son burst into our bedroom with a big smile on his adorable face shouting. . ."Happy Mother Day's!" He didn't get the words quite right, but I'll never forget the love. When life became difficult for him the Lord used my memory of this morning to open my heart to his needs. The cord that connected me to him was never fully severed, I thought it had been. I needed the Lord to show me that. 

Without actually knowing it, I believe I grew up with the attitude that as a woman, I was special - special to the world, special to my parents and special to God. When we women understand how much the Lord values us we won't feel the desire to march for 'Women's Rights'.  Our rights are God-given, not government given! We can therefore go out into the world boldly, and more important, lovingly, trusting the Lord to guide our lives, protect us, empower us and never forget the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world!

Thank you Lord for giving women such a special place in your heart. Help others to notice! You Lord have been the one to rock my world.