Wednesday, June 6, 2018

THE AUTHOR OF YOUR LIFE

Our pace seems to quicken as we start summer. The warmer weather and extra hours of daylight enable us to engage in different activities than during the winter. Some of us plan vacations and visits to friends and relatives, some do more yardwork, go to baseball games, read more. Whatever you do, whatever your dreams. . .

"Let the author of your life write your story."

I saw these words in a newspaper shortly before Easter along with this verse. . .

"For I know the plans I have you, declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11

I saved this so I will be reminded often that I may make plans, dream big, hope much, but it's always the Lord who is in control of my life - I just go with the flow! This is so much easier than fighting against the current and struggling upstream. Maybe what God wants us to learn is that He loves us totally and during all of our good and bad days is beside us. Psalm 16:8 . . ."because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken."

In a matter of just a few days great things happened and sad things also came to be. A neighbor of mine passed away while on an airplane to Paris; a seemingly healthy man who wound up at a completely different destination than he planned for. My son Steve took his sweet dog, Abby, for a walk one evening, 5/17/18, she collapsed and he rushed her to the veterinary hospital. Her back legs were paralyzed; they couldn't do anything to help her so he  gave permission to have his loving pet of ten years be put down, never to see her little fuzzy face and the waddle in her walk again. 

Life is hard, it hurts so much sometime and yet we need to remember that it is God who counts our days and numbers our steps. . .Job 16. Job had much to weep about, the Lord challenged him big time! You might want to read chapter 16. Despite it all, Job always knew that his Redeemer lives. . .

"I know that my Redeemer lives and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. . .in my flesh I will see God."  Job 19:25-27.

This statement is even more astounding when you consider that it was written sometime in the 6th Century before Christ.  The Old Testament constantly refers to Jesus, often we can't recognise this, but it's there - you might say, 'hidden in plain sight'.  

The Lord also adds joy to our days. I was able to fly back to Washington D.C. last month and spend time with my youngest daughter in a beautiful hotel arranged for by my older daughter. Other than 'family time', my reason to go to DC was all about visiting the Museum of the Bible which we did on my birthday. Last week-end my daughter and husband moved into a 'new' old house, really old, almost 90 years! It's beautiful, unique and closer to me, also near a train station. I pointed out Psalm 37:4 

"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this. . ."

Does the Lord give us everything we desire? No, it doesn't seem so. But this verse is showing us that when we have a relationship with the living Lord, when we are one with Him and trust Him to give us what is for our very best, we will have the desires of our heart because they are the same that God desires for us. Maybe you need to read this again because this is a principle that we can apply to our lives everyday and in doing so, we'll become more at peace, no matter what the circumstance. 

I just read these words this morning written by Mary Carothers in her newsletter called, what else, Praise News.

God always has a positive response. . .when we say:
"Nobody loves me" - God says: I love you (John 3:16, 34)

When we say: "I can't forgive myself" - God says: I forgive you (John 1:9, Romans 8:1)

When we say that we are "worried and fearful" - God says: Cast your cares on Me (I Peter 5:7)

You think: "I can't figure things out" - God says: I will direct your steps (Proverbs 3: 5-6) 

You say: "I feel all alone" - Gods says: I will never leave or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5)

Given that all this is true, and it is, let's rejoice in the One who authored our lives and will sustain us. He has written a unique story for each of us, walk with Him, He will never lead you astray. 

Thank you Lord for writing my story and revealing it to me bit by bit. Give me patience and understanding when life seems to blow up and I feel like I've lost my way.