Saturday, March 16, 2019

DO YOU KNOW. . .?

I want to take a few minutes today and give a nod to all the Irish immigrants who came to the United States and helped build our country with their skills, hard work and determination. I also want to give a great big SHOUT OUT to Ireland's St. Patrick. I believe we Americans make a bigger fuss about St. Patrick's Day than the Irish do. I doubt that many know the true facts about this person who inspires us, Irish blood or not, to wear green and drink beer.

        * Most interesting I think is that St. Pat wasn't Irish! He was born in the 5th century in Britain, which was controlled by the Romans. 

        * He was kidnapped and enslaved by the Irish when he was sixteen years old. He became a Christian and when released, he journeyed back to Britain where he studied the Scripture.

        * He returned to Ireland to share the gospel and often used the three-leaf Irish clover called Shamrock to explain the Trinity, God in three persons - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

        * The color green, which was originally blue, came to symbolize this special day in honor of the green vegetation on this lovely isle. 

        * There were no snakes in Ireland so St. Pat couldn't have driven them out, simply a myth. What is true is that the snakes were a symbol for all the pagan worship in Ireland. Many converted to Christianity.

St. Patrick wrote a beautiful poem/prayer; I'd like to share it with you.

I rise today 
Through the strength of heaven;
Light of the sun,
Speed of lightening,
Swiftness of the wind,
Depth of the sea,
Stability of the earth;
Firmness of the rock.

I rise today
Through God's strength to pilot me;
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guide me, 
God's way to lie before me,
God's angels to save me,
Afar and near,
Alone or in a multitude,
Christ shield me today
Against wounding,

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me,

I arise today
Through the mighty strength
Of the Lord of creation.

When I read this prayer, I'm reminded of the verse that says,

"For in Him we live and move and have our being."
Acts 17:28

St. Patrick passed into eternity to be with the Lord he loved forever
in 461 A.D. I'm going to see him there!

Thank you Lord for your precious saints of old and their wonderful stories.